Home   Join Us     Directory     Contribute your blog posts

Friday, July 22, 2011

Drab to Fab Friday

It's already Friday again?? I must admit that I had a difficult time coming up with something to restyle this week. I finally found something and have been in a mad rush to have it done by today. Oh, and the fact that my 3 year old has decided that he is finished with naps definitely contributed to my frazzled state!

A few days ago, my mother-in-law brought me this old picnic table set to put in a yard sale that I'm having soon. In the past, she generously offered her vanity chair for me to restyle and has mentioned giving me another piece to work on as well. However, when she brought the picnic table up, there was no discussion on restyling...just on selling it in a yard sale. That is because this table is old. And worn. And dirty. And ugly. (I don't feel bad saying this as I'm sure she would agree). I would have never spent money on this (in it's current state) to restyle. However, as it landed in our backyard I couldn't help but think, "Is it possible to make this look even a little appealing?" I argued back and forth with myself and finally decided to take on the challenge.
 
The most wonderful part of no napping now means that I have a little helper. It also means that these projects take twice as long! But that's the beautiful part of it all, isn't it? He loved hosing down the table and squeezing dish soap on to it. I scrubbed it and sanded it down and then proceeded with the painting while he continuously stirred the paint with the Home Depot stick. I used an exterior creamy white paint (didn't spend money on this; already had it). I then taped off alternating planks and sprayed the remainder with an interior/exterior black spray paint.

The result is

A) a distressed yet whimsical take on the modern picnic table

B) an old, worn picnic table painted black and white


You decide...I haven't yet.
 
Kricia Palmer
I am a 37 year old wife and mother of two wonderful boys.  In my previous life, I was a physician (pediatric allergy and immunology) until I finally surrendered to my true passion... interior design!  I currently call myself an interior stylist and am working toward a degree in interior design at UCA while being a stay at home mom.  My blog, palmer home, is a collection of my design inspirations and ideas.
 

3 comments: