Home   Join Us     Directory     Contribute your blog posts

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Need a MOMcation?

We have two boys. I homeschool them. We do not have any family close. They are with me 24-7. I adore them and love our life, but seriously, a sister needs a break.

Last year, I ran away from home for a MOMcation. MOMcation is the brainchild of my good friend Fawn over at Instead of the Dishes. It is a vacation for Mom, away from the kids, with the goal of relaxing, renewing, and repairing mom so she can be an even greater Mom when she returns home.
After frantically cleaning my house, making sure all the laundry was done and food was prepped in the fridge for the Buckaroos (it was not in this shape when I returned), I set out under a weather advisory to drive 2 ½ hours to Heifer Ranch. I like to think I am adventurous but storm chasing is not my thing. Well, and I don’t think I would like to bungee jump, skydive, or climb Everest. O.k. maybe I am not the adventurous type.

Oh wait, I am a mom to two little boys, yea, that is an adventure all its own. Sorry, I get a little sidetracked, be thankful you are not in my head all the time, whiplash honey. ANYWAY…I love a big storm as long as I am wrapped in a comfy blanket on my couch, driving in it is a different story. My knuckles were white most of the time in anticipation of this huge storm that was supposed to hit. But, I was fortunate to not run into any bad weather until Murphy showed up. As I drove up and was getting my bag out to go inside the lodge, oh mercy, the sky opened up. I freaked for a minute because I had dressed cute and fixed my hair because all you women know that we are each others biggest critics. So, I opened the door looking like a drowned rat but the warmth and laughter radiated from the room.

Of the 18 women attending, I only knew Fawn. Is that scary and intimidating? Heck yeah. But, by the end of the weekend, I had made some wonderful new friends. We had cooking demonstrations, yoga class, a tour of Heifer Ranch, book discussion, jewelry making, a bonfire, and so many more wonderful activities. Let’s not even talk about the karaoke, some things that happen at MOMcation need to stay at MOMcation, got it girls?! My favorite part was just sitting on the couch talking to the other women, hearing their stories, learning from them, commiserating with them, and enjoying getting to know them.

This year's MOMcation will be held April 29-May 1 at Heifer Ranch near Perryville, Arkansas. Join us in  connecting with and learning from other Moms as well as enjoying some quiet time alone in self-reflection. For more information on this professional development opportunity for your most important job – being a Mom, visit momcation.org.

I hope to see you there,
The Park Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment