Home   Join Us     Directory     Contribute your blog posts

Friday, December 17, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas

Terri over at Southwest Arkie has a geneaology blog and is participating in a blog event about Christmas.  Advent Calendar of Christmas is a fun way to get blogging and think about your families traditions and memories of past holidays.  Here are Terri's thoughts on Santa Claus.

“I’m making a list and checking it twice.”


I did make lists for Santa, but only after hours of perusing the Sears Christmas catalog (better known as the “Wish Book”)…carefully paging through looking for that one special item. I think my siblings and I had more fun circling what we wanted than actually getting any of it, because it was a dream land of toys, and clothes, and everything a child could wish for.

My favorite part of the catalog was the doll section. Big dolls, little dolls, bride dolls, Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls, Cupie Dolls, doll houses, doll clothes, strollers; oh you name it…Sears was Doll Central!

I never outgrew the catalog. It followed me into marriage and the birth and raising of my two children. As soon as they were old enough to read, both loved to see it arrive in the mail and each would take a turn circling items that they wanted from Santa.

Oh, it was a sad day when the Wish Book stopped arriving in my mail box!

According to the Sears Christmas Wish Book history site , the very first catalog came out in 1933, and now our children can page through the Wish Book online. I guess instead of circling the toy a child would like to have he or she can copy and past the URL and email it to Mom and Dad.


Terri Buster is a self-proclaimed geneaology junkie.  You can read her geneaology blog or her other blog Coloring Outside the Lines for more about Terri and her interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment